Friday, October 17, 2008

Theme:

Some folk think of creativity as being some lightening bolt from the blue that strikes you with an idea, be it to draw a picture on this cave wall, make the wheel round or construct an ipod. However most creative folk have got a discipline to their process, a discipline used not only for getting their ideas but also for what they do once they have the idea.

Beyond Scratching - The Factions of Creative Actions

If scratching is an ideas hunt - digging through everything in order to find something, then what do you do after the scratch?

For me, there needs to be some catching of the scratching. Ideas man and educator Art Costa says that one of the unique things about the human mind is that we Store Information Outside of Our Bodies. In The Thinking Learning Classroom book (Glenn Capelli & Sean Brealey) we talk about one of the organisms of learning as being the SIOOB and ask how do you Store Information Outside Of your Body?

Do you –

• Write or draw on cave walls
• Paint on a canvas
• Type on a computer
• Scribble on a pad
• Fingertip on a Blackberry

And what do you do with the information and ideas once you have SIOOB-ed?

As I scratch (or after I’ve scratched) I catch and my favourite way of catching is my journal. Ever since I was a kid I have kept journals in which I draw and write ideas, thoughts, musings, confusions and other mental ablutions. Sometimes the thoughts spill into black ink on a page, other times they spill into a variety of colours from crayon tips. Some times the ink or colours spill as words, other times as drawings, sometimes as mind-maps but more often as a kind of visual explosion on the page.

In my catching I often draw a little symbol that alerts me to a potential idea imbedded in my inking. It might be that what I have jotted is an inking of an inkling for a potential song, a radio piece or simply something that deserves extra thought & research. Other times I might just write myself a note saying:

• Find and read this book
• Dig more in this area
• Link this idea to such and such a topic

These little notes to self become an extra prompt when I go back and look through my journals. And this is vital. The journal is not just a place in which I catch what I scratch through it is also a place that I revisit often in order to transform some of the jottings into plotting. I plot by asking myself ‘How can I use this?’

So the process is –

• Scratching
• Catching and then
• Hatching

The hatching is the transformation of the musing into something I might be using.

Being fine with rhyme, if I wanted to continue the Scratching, Catching and Hatching I might toss in the ideas of Patching and Latching.

To patch means to use an idea to solve a problem that already exists. To latch means to join the new idea with an existing idea and see what the combination brews.

However, patching and latching are not the only reasons I scratch, catch and hatch. The main reason for my journaling is to create possibilities that don’t already exist.

Racking my brain I seek a rhyme for the Scratching, Catching, Hatching, Patching and Latching and cryptically come up with Watching.

Watching is a process of watching (as in looking) and the sound of the word action. To take waction is to observe with an active intent:

• What can this become
• What can I do with this
• What doesn’t exist now that could exist if I put this idea into action
• What will happen if we did this, what consequence will emerge from this creation

Watching is to:

• Do a variety of potential rock throws into the future
• Build a prototype by kluging some rough bits of plastic, string and such together’
• Do a trial
• Test for potential errors
• Bring a physical representation to the abstraction

Each of us is a creative being to some degree and each of us will have different ways to Scratch, Catch and Hatch let alone different ways of Patching, Latching and Watching our Hatchings. We might even have a different sequence of how we go about our creative process or maybe at times it is not so much of a sequence as a continuous development of parallel processes. All things happening at all times and occasionally entwining like triple or quadruple helixes.

Phew – something to think about or something to scratch through perhaps. Enjoy your hatching.


Where to from here:

• Do any of you keep a creative journal? If so, how long have you been doing this for and what goes into it?
• Who can explain to us (in writing or by phone) how you best scratch (look for ideas), catch (hold ideas) and hatch (use the ideas to create something in reality)
• A kluge is a clumsy or inelegant – yet surprisingly effective - solution to a problem often using bits and pieces. Do you kluge? Do you do your thinking by tinkering?

Glenn Capelli
www.glenncapelli.com
Professional Speaker

5 comments:

Jona Turle said...

Hi Cap.
Love the post - very interesting.
I usually keep a journal during 'high' phases of my conscious life. Maybe the trick is to learn how to live this higher plane my whole life?
Loving life,
Jona

Jona Turle said...

Cap,
I think I scratch and catch ideas well enough, but often get stuck before hatching them. This is especially true if I get manic, because mania often creates much, but scatters ideas, good and bad on to the page.
It is only by sifting through these with a fine tooth comb afterwards (ie catching), then acting on them (hatching), or incorporating them into existing ideas or frameworks (latching) that I can make use of the marvellous resource that is my magic brain.
As I said, I don't always keep a journal, but now I blog, and perhaps this creative expression is one way to scratch, catch and hatch good ideas in the future.
But there's nothing like a good journal...I will have to look into starting a new one.

Glenn Capelli said...

Jona

Re catching ideas in the 'high'. For a lot of writers, the down times are when they take pen in hand and in happy moments they simply be. One of the reasons perhaps that songwriters write some of their best stuff when on the bones of their bum. I like to write, scribble, draw in all seasons of my mind states and yes, then the interesting thing comes with the re-visiting - the sifting through. From catch to hatch is the tricky bit for some folk and organisations. Personally I have come to appreciate the transformation of hatching. As a teen I hated to redraft anything feeling that it lost some of its 'magic' by a revisit. Later in life I have discovered that if I want anything to go beyond myself and be read by others then a revisit from me (and the wonderful editing sift of Lindy's eyes and comb) bring words to more life. Thanks for the comment Jono. Enjoy your miles and may your blog journal help your mind and the learning of others. Cap

Glenn Cardwell said...

In April I left my phone in Singapore airport. In trying to get it posted back to Australia the position changed. When I had the phone in Singapore, I owned the phone. Trying to get the phone back to Australia, I no longer owned the phone - I was now, according to customs, a phone importer! Maybe that's what I am - an importer of ideas, not an owner of any idea. The originality comes from blending imported ideas. I keep an ideas book and mark any book I read with sticky labels attached to ideas I may import in the future + written thoughts at the back of the book. Sometimes, just sitting outside helps develop and evolve ideas for later export, so a process of import, evolve, export .... Onya Cap

Glenn Capelli said...

From Professor Peter Klinken Head of Western Australian Institute of Medical Research

Just finished reading the Beyond Scratching article. It was great because it added the extra dimension that was missing for me in the Scratching article. The most important issue in Beyond scratching, I feel, is the "incubation" time for ideas to undergo gestation before their birth. During that period (for me at least) all the scratching info is just swirling around in my head, then suddenly (almost miraculously) they gel and I've had my "eureka" moment. Prior to that all the info was there, just not completed / assembled / whatever. A bit like an explorer searching new lands, painstakingly recording everything until he finally puts his map together and there it all is - the entire picture right before his eyes.

One of the biggest things during the Hatching period for me, is asking the question "what if...?"

I guess my equivalents of creative journals are the data we have complied over many years, combined into a "map" of how I see things playing out within a cell. I visualise the events in my head, then represent them diagramatically on paper - this way I test whether the pictorial representations make sense with the data, or not....

Best wishes

Peter