Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dr Evelyn Gateva Visual Notes


Seattle 1991. After the SALT Conference I joined 100 or so others for three days with Prof. Georgi Lozanov and Dr Evelyn Gateva to experience their methods of teaching and learning. Towards the end Dr Gateva ran a half day lesson on the teaching of some Italian vocab words and grammar. A vibrant introduction using songs to introduce some words & meanings, Active Concerts, playful exploration through discussion, games, readings, debate (Elaboration phase) and a Passive Concert to finish. My notes tried to track the rich layers of methodology. Sadly Dr Gateva passed on some years ago. It was an honor to be in the class.

3 comments:

jmarrapodi said...

Thanks for sharing this Glenn. Nice summary of the process. It's 18 years later and we have all kinds of high tech options available to us for note taking. Do you think you'd use a different capture process? An online mind map, perhaps?

jmarrapodi said...

Ok, I recant that last comment. I just went to your Twitter page and this IS your style. :) I've used that way in the past but tend to think at my keyboard now.

Looking forward to learning together.

Anonymous said...

I'm certified by Dr. Lozanov and teach in Brazil (www.lozanov.com.br). Thanks for sharing these notes.