Monday, June 29, 2009

World Thinking Conference - Pen Grippers


Had the joy of presenting a Plenary and Workshop session at the World Thinking Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (June 22-26th). With Keynotes by Prof. Howard Gardner, David Perkins, Tony Buzan, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad and Edward de Bono it was a learning & thinking joy.

Often at Conferences some really great learning moments occur in the conversations and the smaller sessions you choose to attend. At the wonderful Malaysia 1 session 20 folk from a variety of nations enjoyed a wonderful process of group tasks and discussions. I happened to find myself in a small group with 17 year old Malaysian student Nur Hafizah whose Mum was one of the key facilitators. When I saw how Nur gripped her pen I asked her if she had ever got in trouble for holding it that way. 'From my Mum all the time' she said. I then told her how I had got into trouble at school for holding my pen the same way as her and how I had been told I would never be able to write neatly. Later in life i was told my hand writing was so neat I could get a job as a typewriter!

After the Conference I received a lovely email and photo from Nur saying 'Thank you' because her Mum now no longer reprimanded her for her pen grip. A coincidental Conference outcome of good learning. Magic.

No comments: