Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Multiple Personalities



It's funny but I bumped into someone recently who said 'Glenn Capelli, weren't you the footballer?' In my early years my 'identity' was that of the kid down the oval kicking a footy, the young bloke leading a side onto a field, Capa the Captain. Two knee operations later and I have to conclude my days of kicking a footy, so I get my knees to take up marathon running. For years I ran a minimum of 10KMs a day and usually far more. My best Marathon time was 3 Hours 15 Minutes and I was aiming to break the magic 3 hour mark when (as might be guessed) the knee collapsed again.

From 'identity' of Footballer, to Runner and then to Hobo. For a lot of the 1980s my possessions were all rolled into a backpack as I chucked laps of the World - kibbutz in Israel, four summers of Camp in North Carolina, months in Kenya, trains in Europe: sleeping rough and sometimes not sleeping at all.

It's funny how many identities we are tagged with throughout life - footballer, runner, hobo, husband, business person, teacher, guy on radio, speaker... but I hope whatever identities we are tagged with, no matter how the world sees us, that we maintain the identity of being a Learner at our core. To experience diversity and continue to learn from it, to experience others beneath their 'identities' and to continue to learn from them.

1 comment:

Kim White said...

Too True, cheers Cap,
Kim