Monday, March 8, 2010

Appreciation


As a young adult I spent some time visiting my Poppa at Graylands Mental Hospital in Perth, Western Australia. Poppa was regularly a patient there getting treatment for what we then called Manic-Depression. There were days when I could join Poppa in a game of cards, other days where we would simply sit. Poppa would be in and out of Graylands pending the effectiveness (or lack of it) of medication, Electric Therapy and how much alcohol or marijuana ('them funny cigarettes' Poppa called it) he had been taking as additional therapy.

My Mum also has battled the Black Dog. These days we know enough to call it Post Natal Depression, back then Mum said she 'had bad nerves'.

On certain days I feel the grey clouds start to gather and now know enough to have a variety of partial answers in keeping my mind and being as healthy as possible. I realize there are different strokes for different folks particularly when it comes to matters of mind but the following assist me:

Be healthily active physically - move.
Eat salads and vegetables.
Get some sun and wind on the skin.
Write an Appreciation List.

In the wonderful Woody Allen film 'Manhattan' his character makes a mental list of all the things he should be thankful for and, from my memory, includes things like some Louis Armstrong music. I always find it helpful to list the things in life to be thankful for and appreciative of. Whether the grey clouds are rolling or the sky is blue I think it helps to remind myself of Louis Armstrong's Potato Head Blues, the poetry of John Donne, the beaches of Esperance, the battles fought of my Poppa, the journey won by my Mum, the laughter of kids in natural play... and, yes, think to ourselves 'what a wonderful world'.

Even in the greyest of moments, especially in the greyest of moments, it is helpful to remind ourselves of the tiny beauties that can bring life joy.

1 comment:

Jona Turle said...

I agree Cap - appreciating what we have and how lucky we really are is a key to coping when we've got the blues. The worst thing about depression is that you tend to lose perspective and forgot what it's like to feel happy and fulfilled, so little reminders of what's good about your life are important to give you some hope that things will get better. I like to surround myself with positive messages stuck up on my bedroom wall, which help me remember I am loved, and love others, and these help me through my darkest hours.