Monday, March 29, 2010

Sir Richard Branson the Lionheart - The Interview


I was once told that being the 'warm up' act for Sir Richard Branson would be like being the support act for ACDC - kind of deadly. However, recently I spoke at the Sir Richard Branson In The Raw event hosted by Shane Kempton as a fund raiser for Strike the Chord. Like a good old Abott and Costello comedy routine, speaker Pat Misiti was on first, I was on second and Sir Richard was on third.

Then Pat and I stayed on stage, with a panel of prominent business leaders, to interview Sir Richard. My questions:

Question One: The Mind

I have a concept for a series of interviews titled Learning Styles of the Rich and Famous so my first question was 'Sir Richard, can you explain how your mind works?' His immediate response was 'Well I know it keeps racing ahead of itself. I love life and I tend to deal with the frustrations of life. If something frustrates me then I like to do something about it. If I want to fly into space and can't then I start thinking well how can I make space flight available to me, and to others'.

The Way the World Works

I was delighted with Richard's insight as I had been talking about the need to have a Bug List in life and to celebrate irritations (the things that bug you). In the spirit of Innovative Company IDEO, if something bugs you, chances are it will bug others and therefore it is an opportunity to develop a new process, product, patent and to make new revenue.

Question Two: The Education

I simply asked Sir Richard what kind of a school education would he want his future Grandchildren to have? He responded that he felt the UK education system needed an overhaul. To be bold and brave and to re-think education so that it was more real, more interactive, more engaging and punchy. He then turned the tables and asked me what I thought should be done about education. My response was to elevate the art and science of teaching and learning - if educators can be passionate in the skills of designing true learning experiences... passionate skillful teachers, with engaged & passionate learners... Virgin Schools perhaps!

Question Three: Ringing The Bells

The Virgin business empire was started with Richard's love of music and early success came from backing Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells album, so I asked Richard whether he capped, cheered or did a dance every time he heard the Tubular Bells music. He said he hadn't heard it for a while until recently and 'yes, it did bring a tear to my eye'. He then explained he is an emotional sort of guy and his family always take a box of tissues for him whenever they go to the movies.

In the space of an hour the questions bounced and Sir Richard responded with humility, insight, innovation and honesty. Towards the end he said he saw himself as a Creator rather than a Businessman. 'I like creating and growing things I can be proud of' he said.

Be bold, be brave, dream, think big, act and build small - Sir Richard the Lionheart.

No comments: