Sunday, January 31, 2010

Big City Walking


I don't have accurate memories of learning how to walk but I'm pretty sure it took me a while to master the standing up, the one foot in front of the other and the moving without teetering. For most, including me, when it comes to learning how to be pedestrian it happens slowly. And now it is happening again.

Not that I am struggling with standing up and the basics of one foot following the other but I am struggling with learning how to walk in big city crowds. Having moved from Perth to Melbourne I now face twice (or more) the size of city pedestrians. Walking involves breaking into and through walls of folk. Passing pedestrians means going wide and often into the gutter. Getting somewhere on foot means learning to appreciate that other people are walking without a purpose. Big city crowds incorporate people who like to stroll, then stop suddenly and simply enjoy standing in the middle of a footpath.

Learning to walk BIG city style is akin to learning how to drive bumper cars without the cars.

Then again, learning anything requires a bit of bash, crash and stumble & fall. Always better to see the challenge as an adventure in side show alley rather than getting hot, steamy and suffering pedestrian footpath rage.

No comments: